The Slatiňany Chateau is located near the town Chrudim by the Iron Mountains. The Renaissance chateau was built in 16th century on a base of a tower house. Its most significant owners were the Auerspergs who made several reconstructions and found a large park.
The prince dynasty of Auerspergs was one of the richest and noblest family in the Habsburg Monarchy. They based a modern breeding of horses between 19th and 20th centuries. A new stud was built near the chateau for carriage horses, show hunters and steeplechasing horses.
The biggest boom of the manor was in the era of František Josef Auersperg who owned the chateau until 1938. He loved the place and from this reason he rebuilt it into a “family house”. He made a contribution to innovate the chateau a installed a lot of modern articles such as: central heating, canalization etc. At the turn of 20th century his personality found a new stud which were considered as the most modern in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
After the Second World War the chateau and the stud were put under state control. During that time the Trauttmansdorffs owned the manor. Due to some complicated circumstances the existence of the chateau and as well as the stud were threatened. Professor of zoology František Bílek decided about making new hippology centers. To the stud was put a herd of Kladruber black horses where was under way of its regeneration. The new installation of hippology exposition was realized in the chateau in 1947. The exhibits were from all corners (palaces, castles etc.) of Czech environment. Hippology museum was opened on 1st of October in 1950. Its first exhibition was called “Horse in Art”. After a few years two parts were added: scientific and anatomy. On the whole, Hippology Museum in Slatiňany is one of the biggest and the most complex not only in the Czech Republic but in the world as well. Nowadays, the museum is under the renovating process and its opening will probably be in 2020.